1. The library will notify the card holder (parent/guardian in the case of a minor) of the replacement cost for a damaged or lost item based on the publication date.
a. Full replacement cost of the item for materials (books and audiobooks) published in the last 5 years.
b. Half the replacement cost of the item for materials (books and audiobooks) published more than 5 years ago.
c. Full replacement cost for DVDs and video games released within the last year and one half the cost for items released more than a year ago.
d. Magazine issues that are lost or damaged are subject to a flat $5.00 charge.
2. A nonrefundable $7.00 processing fee will be charged for each replaced item.
3. Patrons who pay for damaged or lost materials will have overdue fines associated with the item waived.
4. When the damaged or lost item has been paid for, the item will be removed from the patron’s record.
5. Accounts with a balance of $15 or over will have their library privileges suspended. Accounts with a balance over $50 for more than 30 days may be
turned over to a collection agency. Written notification will be mailed to the patron before the account is turned over to the collection agency.
A nonrefundable service fee of $10 will be automatically added to accounts turned over to the collection agency.
6. If a patron finds lost material that has been paid for and returns it in good condition, in person, the following refund schedule applies:
a. Within 30 days of payment: a full refund of the replacement cost paid will be given
b. After 30 days a refund will not be issued.
7. Damaged items: If an item is returned with liquid damage or is wet, patron will be charged for replacement of the item as outlined in item 1. If there is
concern for mold growth, the item will be discarded. If the damage is such that mold isn’t a concern, the patron may take possession of the item upon
receipt of payment. Thirty days after billing the item will be discarded.
8. Special items such as Learning bundles, LeapFrogs, MeReaders, Board games – missing or damaged items from multi-part sets or kits will be assessed
fees on a case by case basis.
9. Book Club Kits – Damaged or Lost copies will be billed a fee of $10.00 for each copy.
10. Items returned with damaged or missing cases, labels, covers, jackets, security features, etc. will be assessed fees according to the following schedule:
- Label, barcode, or sleeve from movies/audiobooks - $1.00
- AV cases - $3.00
Approved by the Library Board – February 11, 2020